WelcomeWe study mate choice, communication, and how interactions between species affect the ecology and evolution of behavior. We work with insects, because they are easy to collect and rear, have short generation times, and display all the fascinating behavior one could ever wish for.
- We have so much news! Our paper on the costs of reproductive interference in squash bugs is out in the Journal of Insect Science. Check it out here!
- Congratulations to Alina and Sydney for completing SURE 2018, and to Connor and Davis for completing their first summer of research! Some photos below.
- Jen gave an oral presentation on the ecology and consequences of hybridization in squash bugs at the Animal Behavior Society meeting in Milwaukee, WI, and an invited seminar on the lab's research at UNC-Asheville.
- Alina, Connor, Davis, and Jen conducted a half-day outreach at Elon's Loy Farm with Discover Science, a middle school STEM camp organized by Western Middle School. Read about it here!
- Lab alumni news: Congratulations to Paige Stover, who is starting medical school at UNC-Chapel Hill this fall!
Also, Matt Sears is starting a two year position as a research specialist at Univ. Pennsylvania, and other alumni are doing really neat things - check out the "People" page for more info!
- Alina and Sydney wrote successful SURE proposals! Congratulations - we look forward to seeing your work in Summer 2018!
- Jen, Matt, and Alina conducted research on insect communication at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute at Barro Colorado Island, Panama during Winter Term 2018. Some photos below.
- Matt and Alina wrote successful proposals for Glen Raven Endowed Scholarships and Center for Research on Global Engagement grants. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Breanna and Matt for completing Elon SURE 2017 and conducting their research projects!
- We had an Elon Academy scholar work with us this summer! Matt and Jen co-mentored Bradley Lauck, who helped out with rearing, data collection, and outreach. (Thanks, Bradley!)
- Breanna, Matt, Bradley, and Jen conducted a half-day outreach at Elon's Loy Farm with Discover Science, a middle school STEM camp organized by Western Middle School. Read about it here!
- Matt was featured in the Magazine of Elon in "I Am Elon". Check it out here!
- Jen gave an invited seminar at Dartmouth College in May, and she also presented preliminary findings from Summer 2016's squash bug study at the Animal Behavior Society Annual Meeting in Toronto, ON.
Check out one of our study species in action...Video of a keeled treehopper mother defending her offspring against a menacing watercolor brush!
Contact UsMcMichael Hall 124-G, Elon University, Elon, NC 27244