18th century maps relevant to Trading Path crossings
"in the waters of Back Creek"
Carole Watterson Troxler, 1999
(Sources: William P. Cumming, North Carolina in
Maps. Raleigh: Archives and History, 1966; William P. Cumming, The
Southeast in Early Maps (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina
||Edward Moseley's 1733 drawing shows the Trading Path
crossing Alamance Creek near its confluence with the Haw River near the
center of this selection.
||Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson in 1751 sketched the Trading
Path crossing Alamance Creek upstream from its confluence with the Haw
River. They showed it also crossing the Haw River near the Back Creek
("Marrow Bone River)" confluence. Link
here to southern tier of Fry-Jefferson map.
||John Collet in 1770 showed the road authorized
in 1753 to connect the courthouse in the waters of Back Creek with the
Pinson's Mill area north of the Reedy Fork. The road, marked in red, roughly
parallels the northeast shore of the Haw River. Link
to larger map.
last updated 10 August 2000 Carole Troxler
start of Alamance County Trading Path feature
Carole Troxler homepage
to Trading Path
Preservation Assn. homepage.
Dept. Elon College
to Elon College homepage